re "Problem is, just like other mode operators have found out, it's
unworkable as the majority of legal, in progress qso's will be derailed by
someone else firing up."

Its only unworkable because the implementation of the busy frequency
detector in question is obviously quite poor.

re "Since the CW op has no way to ask in ALE, PSK, whatever mode "is the
frequency in use", all they can do is interfere. so the mythical busy
detection software would have to have a way to answer back "sorry OM, the
frequency is in use" in every imaginable mode."

No, an automatic station already in QSO need only respond with "QRL" in CW,
which will be understood by the majority of attended stations.

re "Fact: Radio is vulnerable to "hidden terminal" effect like most shared
media. We live in that world. And because of that, there will be some
unintentional interference."

This is rarely  problem with attended stations; you might not hear one side
of an in-progress QSO, but you will hear the other side, and be able to
respond appropriately when the side you hear asks you to QSY. Only automated
stations without busy frequency detectors suffer the vulnerability you
describe here.

Effective multi-mode busy frequency detection has been demonstrably feasible
for years. Had a concerted effort been made to equip all automatic stations
with competent busy frequency detectors, the rate of "QSO breakage" caused
by such stations would have plummeted, the anger caused by this QSO breakage
would have dissapated, and we'd be efficiently sharing spectrum  in the
pursuit of our diverse objectives. Instead, we've been treated to years of
blatantly lame excuses as to why busy frequency detection either can't be
designed, can't be implemented, can't be deployed, won't work, causes warts,
causes cancer, causes global warming, or will cause the universe to expand
forever. Few are fooled by this.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ