James, many of us did a lot with digital voice a couple of years ago (search
the archives of this group for LOTS of info.  It worked quite well IF there
was a good signal to noise ratio.  It began to decline in interest when the
main codec used was declared to be in violation of a commercial copyright
and the software developers dutifully switched to a different codec.  The
newer codec did not produce the same quality of digital voice.  Al of this
was software, not hardware, based...using PC soundcards.

Andy K3UK