John & Alan,

First, I have to congratulate you on venturing into digital modes.  I cannot
tell you how many older hams scoff at the newer digital modes as if they
were nothing but teenage fads.  I started in 1972 and I also started with a
Kenwood TS-520S and an SB-220 (my third rig, the first one was a
Hallicrafters TX and National Rx).  I am still somewhat new to digital
modes, but my perception is that most digital modes work through the audio
in/out either rear panel or through microphone.  The newer radios have
specialized input and output in rear panel and I cannot recall if TS-520
did.  Choosing a radio with this interface makes life a lot easier.  I have
not yet used the digital I/O of my ICOM 756PROII and I think I still use the
audio I/O for digital modes.

In some ways, the older tube radios a little better suited to digital modes
b/c the tubes are more forgiving for a longer duty cycle operation.  While
you should not be transmitting more than 20-30 watts, mostly to avoid
splatter on the PSK band-slice, you can push the power a little and not
worry about thermal shutdown on the earlier transistor radios.  I also
refound SSTV.  My first SSTV unit was a handbuilt LC circuit that changed
voltage based on KHZ off resonance to decode SSTV and a small reel to reel
tape recorder to save transmissions.  But now with a computer and built-in
sound cards you can have a blast even without much interface.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Michael K3MH

  _____