> Download MixW 2.19. It is easy to install, free and you do not need much of a
> processor. It uses your soundcard as the modem and an HF radio to gather the
> signals. Your computer processor is the microcontroller, so to speak.

Yeah, because MixW will really help him understand RTTY decoding after
he spends a couple of terms disassembling the binaries and reverse
engineering the decoder.

> There are numerous sources for the engineering behind RTTY digital signal
> processing. Interesting stuff and it is a good place to start for young
> electrical engineers. IEEE usually covers this topic very well and their
> subscription rates for students are very low.

IEEE publications cover many topics really well, but someone who wants
to get a grasp on DSP will have better luck reading books (some of them
freely avaialble online) or university course material.

There are also at least two existing, actively developed, FOSS
implementations of RTTY (pocketdigi and fldigi) that anyone can study,
modify, improve and share.  I don't speak for the authors of the RTTY
modems in these programs but I imagine that they would be happy to help
someone who has already spent some time trying to understand their
design.

Stelios, M0GLD.