--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Stephensen" <kd6...@...> wrote:
> What ROS users should do is email their ARRL representative and have them
> petition the FCC to change the rules. One solution is to eliminate the
> emission designators and change the RTTY/data segment of each HF band to
> 0-500 Hz wide emissions and the phone/image of each HF band to 0-8 kHz wide
> emissions with 0-20 kHz above 29 MHz.

Well, most hams inaccurately believe, as a simplification, that the rule is
emission designators ending in A/B go at the bottom of the band, ending in E
goes at the top of the band, and ending in D wiggle in between.

However, the whole point of the ROS debate is that FCC 97.3(c) does exist, like
it or not, and FCC 97.3(c) was way over complicated and is simply obsolete.

The FCC is not going to wipe FCC 2.201 because hams don't like emissions
designators.  A simpler solution than yours, would be to wipe 97.3(c) and
replace it with something along the lines of "ordering our transmissions based
on alphabetical order of the letter at the end of our emissions designators.",
and then toss something in about 97.101(a) implying that maximizing the amount
of cooperation  with as many as possible of the thousands of band plans would
be defined as "good engineering practice".  Which would pretty much end up as
the status quo, with the added feature of eliminating all future RF engineer
lawyer-ing.

73 de Vince N9NFB