The FCC only requires that a technical description be published:

Sec. 97.309  RTTY and data emission codes.

    (a) Where authorized by Sec. Sec. 97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of the
part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the
following specified digital codes:
    (1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2,
code defined in ITU-T Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as
``Baudot'').
    (2) The 7-unit code specified in ITU-R Recommendations M.476-5 and
M.625-3 (commonly known as ``AMTOR'').
    (3) The 7-unit, International Alphabet No. 5, code defined in IT--T
Recommendation T.50 (commonly known as ``ASCII'').
    (4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a
digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose
technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER,
G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.
    (b) Where authorized by Sec. Sec. 97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of this
part, a station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using an
unspecified digital code, except to a station in a country with which
the United States does not have an agreement permitting the code to be
used. RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not
be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any
communication. When deemed necessary by a District Director to assure
compliance with the FCC Rules, a station must:
    (1) Cease the transmission using the unspecified digital code;
    (2) Restrict transmissions of any digital code to the extent
instructed;
    (3) Maintain a record, convertible to the original information, of
all digital communications transmitted.

[54 FR 25857, June 20, 1989, as amended at 54 FR 39537, Sept. 27, 1989;
56 FR 56172, Nov. 1, 1991; 60 FR 55486, Nov. 1, 1995; 71 FR 25982, May
3, 2006; 71 FR 66465, Nov. 15, 2006]

73,

John
KD6OZH