Is the random or pseudo-random manner of generating the tones or carriers an
essential element of spread-spectrum? If so, and if the aim of using such a
method is not to obfuscate the message but only to provide better immunity to
interference and path variations, would you be any worse off using a repeated
pattern of tones instead of a pseudo-randomly generated one? And if you did
that, would it still be spread-spectrum?

Julian, G4ILO