Jose A. Amador wrote:
> It does not mean that SS is not a predictable modulation method, you
> just need to know the key, in the USA, the key must be one of a few
> specific codes, and if you don't have the key, "security by obscurity"
> applies.

And the FCC does not consider a "code" used to create modulation
patterns as encryption as long as that code is available for review upon
demand. Not the program code itself, but the algorithm.

I have stashed away somewhere a copy of the document used for that exact
exercise in the mid-80's with the FCC.

This could be a convolutional code as used in several modems, or a
randomizer, or even one to improve decoding (viterbi).

Another example: One of the gripes about P3 is that it is difficult to
monitor. But that does not make it illegal, as the code algorythm has
been published. Not the trade secret codecs themselves, just the method.
And that's all that's required.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba