Your question is one that I have also.  In our recent NVIS testing with
fldigi/flarq we found BPSK250 provided better throughput than other modes we
tested, and most notably MFSK32 which we thought would be our safe, robust mode.

This was with a variety of band conditions including strong signal, weak
signal, selective fading, lightning QRN, grungy power line noise, and all the
normal stuff we experience here in the Midwest.  Path distances varied from 40
miles to 150 miles which were the distances we were interested in.

There were a couple ideas we kicked around as possible reasons why BPSK250
worked so much better than we expected.  One was that when the signal took a
hit from something like a lightning burst, BPSK250 recovered and resynchronized
very fast.  The second was even more speculative in that maybe the higher phase
modulation rate (250 times per second) was faster than Doppler path modulation
allowing the BPSK decoder to ride through.

Anyway, we expected BPSK250 to be useless on NVIS but every time we have tried
it, it has worked. (and better than most modes.)  Maybe there is something that
the path simulators are missing.

Dunno... Just throwing some ideas out.

Gary - N0GW