Jon,

I have been running an ACER Aspire One ZG5, 1.6 GHz Atom, 1 GB ram refurb I
picked up on Tiger Direct for $200 about 6 mo ago. I've been running all the
latest vs of NBEMS/FLDIGI with a USB Signalink and have never even had a
hickup. I run weekly nets on MT63 2k long with this setup and also take the rig
on a lot of field trips where I run BPSK31 to MT63 and everything in between.

BTW, netbooks are the way to go for emcomm. My 9 cell batt gives me a solid 5
hours op time (med duty cycle) before I have to go to another power source. I
have a 33AH gel cell for the little puter and my FT-817nd that would take me
out for about 48 hours with a medium duty cycle.

I used to think of the 817 as a play toy but with my 87' long wire and Dentron
Jr tuner I'm solid on 75m phone, 80m digi and both phone and digi on 40m... the
bread and butter HF bands for emcomm.

-Dave, KB3FXI