Simon,

Yes that will be very interesting to see. My only thought about such a system
is the complexity & cost level for the average ham. Many of us on here lament
about people not using RS ID or not being interested enough to try some of the
more exotic modes. I don't see this ever significantly changing. For most
digimode ops PSK31 & RTTY are all that are important - just witness RTTY
contests and the activity around 14.070.

We talk about ultimate solutions but realistically this will only be a solution
for a small percentage of highly technical amateurs. To state it slightly
differently: For most ops the ultimate solution has already been invented
namely PSK31.

We are rapidly discussing & developing technologies that are going to bypass a
very high proportion of amateurs and to what end? To talk to the same small
bunch of guys using a different complex mode each time?

Whatever your thoughts about the ROS modem it did capture a lot of interest
(and still does) because it was extremely simple to operate (therefore
understandable for the average ham) and gave a "reward" in the form of a
confirmation email from a distant land.

Actually the same essential qualities that appealed to most of us when we first
got into ham radio. CW was simple to operate and we looked forward to the QSL
card.

I'm not suggesting we abandon attempts like Simon's, far from it, but we might
be deluding ourselves if we think an "ultimate solution" is either necessary or
gained through ever more complex technology.

73

Sholto