Kim,

Ok, I'm feeling somewhat confident that this is a unicode or slash issue.
The character you said is your path separator appears in my email client as
a W with a horizontal line through it, but when I cut/pasted that
character, it became a back slash.  Interesting.

But I think that fact it ends up as a back slash is the more important
part,  So try using forward slashes instead of back slashes as a
workaround.  It's possible the file path parser is treating the back slash
as a character escape in Windows python, which might indicate why \bad.bin
doesn't work but \good.bin does, since \b is a backspace escape character.

I will take a closer look later on, but try that to keep moving forward.

Geof