Hi there!

We are very glad that you find interest in contributing to GNU Radio and
GSoC! You are definitely on the right road by getting familiarized with the
software and its perks by installing it and following the guided tutorials.
If you have any question regarding functionality that you want to clear out
before starting writing a proposal, please do not hesitate on letting the
mailing list know, and we certainly will help you around it.

Now, the ideas that you chose are tasks that are essential behind the
scenes of GNU Radio's functionality and improvement on any of them will be
immensely appreciated by the whole community. As you noticed, proficiency
in both c++ and python is key to getting the ctrl port and the gr-modtool
to the next level. There are a couple of weeks before the application date,
so I would suggest you to start choosing which task seems more interesting
for you and give it a bit more focus on getting hands-on experience. You
can post your progress on this thread, or ask the mentors (me included)
about aspects that help you refine the scope of your proposal.

As I'm listed as mentor for the gr-modtool idea, here a bit more about it:
you mention the if-then-else rules in some of the options of the tool, and
definitely, that is something that needs work on. However, the intention of
this as a GSoC project goes beyond that and here, given the whole lot of
tasks that are part of the "wish-list" of the tool, a strictly definite
scope is a *must* for a student that wants to take this task. As the idea
title says, we are facing a "complete makeover". But fear not! you will be
not needed to make miracles in record time, and you won't be alone! The
first step in this process is knowing the tool, so go ahead and create a
couple of dummy blocks as per [1], check the code to understand what is
going on in the background and determine if you see the stuff that can be
done better. Regarding the bullet that says "rewrite as a plugin
architecture", you can also have a quick overview how rfnocmodtool [2] and
volk_modtool [3] work, just to have a feeling of what kind of plugins are
expected in the future (writing the rfnocmodtool and volk_modtool plugins
is not part of the project idea, by the way). And again, questions are very
welcome!

+*Marcus *might have some short insights on the CtrlPort project that might
help you make your choice.

Cheers!
- Nicolas

[1] https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/OutOfTreeModules