Just to clarify -- I was running the build-gnuradio script which has worked
very well for a long time.  It does all the git access automatically; I'm not
doing anything but running the script.  There's apparently some versioning
interaction somewhere between the gnuradio requirements and the packages
installed in Mint 19/Ubuntu 18.04.