I played with fast hopping a while ago and it works very well and you
get lock times of less than 1 msec easily.

This is a B210 just quickly switching between  100M (FM), 816M (LTE),
940M (GSM), 1817M (LTE), 2115M (3G), 2450M (Wifi/Bluetooth)

http://i.imgur.com/FwzVgMx.jpg

You can get an idea of the switch time by looking at the duration of
the GSM FCCH signal ( which is ~ 4.6 ms long )

The hardware can only store 8 profiles internally but you can upload /
download profiles via SPI while another profile is running and so my
plan was to use the FPGA to upload next profile and switch to it at
times interval.

The client for that project disappeared and so I never continued to
actually implement it ...

Cheers,

     Sylvain