One thing is unclear to me...

If you had GNUstep-reset.sh on your system, would that not suggest that
GNUstep was, in fact, not uninstalled?

I mean, if there were GNUstep-specific environment variables present in
your environment even after a reboot, would that, in fact, not indicate
that there was another installation of GNUstep on your system?