Hi Riccardo,

>> What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on
>> current hardware? Which distro do you recommend? Is there a todo-list
>> somewhere to get from naked hardware to a working GNUstep desktop somewhere?
>
> That opens a can of worms!
>
> However, I have a ThinkPad running Ubuntu 16 with WindowMaker, I took the
> time this weekend to update everythin, recompile all GNUstep and confirm it
> works perfectly.
> Thus... there must be something specific on your side.

On the specific machine preinstalled with Ubuntu 16 I always got "System
program problem detected" panels after logging in. When I click on "Reprot
problem" it says "Please enter your password to access problem reports of
systems programs". I thought that was due to a smashed installation. But I
installed Ubuntu 16.04 from scratch on a VirtualBox virtual machine in the
meanwhile to sort out the reported GNUstep problems and got the same error
panels there as well. So this really seems to be a generic Ubuntu 16 problem
(not machine or installation related). Do you get those as well?

How did you install Window Maker on your Ubuntu 16? I would like to give Freds
test program a try under Window Maker to see whether it also shows the wrong
behaviour.

> Solaris is now just a niche server OS, since there are no more workstations.
>
> If you still have it somewhere though, I created and try to maintain several
> gnustep packages for it! I never announced it because I still miss some
> packages, howver, check on https://www.opencsw.org/
> <https://www.opencsw.org/> All the "core" stuff is there, I am in the process
> of upgrading the rest.
>
> gnustep_back <https://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWgnustep-back>
> 0.26.0,REV=2018.04.29   GNUstep-core back
> gnustep_base <https://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWgnustep-base>
> 1.25.1,REV=2018.03.26   GNUstep-core base
> gnustep_gui <https://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWgnustep-gui>
> 0.26.2,REV=2018.04.28   GNUstep-core gui
> gnustep_make <https://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWgnustep-make>
> 2.7.0,REV=2018.01.30    GNUstep-core make

That's cool. Thanks a lot. I will give them a try soon. But for this special
project I currently have on the table I need to get window resizing (auto
relayouting) running on the special hardware with Ubuntu 16 installed. As you
can see in my last few mails the current GNUstep missives here a bit. :-(

Best wishes,

 Andreas