PS I guess one has to say that there's a genuinely subtle interaction
between Rossby-wave and vortex dynamics on the one hand, and the
ALMOST-passive advection of small-scale PV features on the other.  Also,
the improved pictures in our final version show up the fact that the
barrier effect is distinctly imperfect and fuzzy (unlike e.g. the perfect
barriers you get in Poincare sections with time-periodic prescribed
velocity fields).

Logically it can't be a simple case of "small-scales passive, large
scales active" -- e.g. notice the active vortex interactions going on
at small scales in some parts of the improved Fig 4!