Tom et al.,
>> This is for the model with the 200W PS, 1GB Dimm, and 160GB HD. Both
>> of which will be recycled to a friend or given to the BU BUILDS
>> group.
> What are you using in place of the supplied RAM and hard drive?

I was wavering over what drives to go with, but when backblaze endorsed
the "Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000" a couple days before I ordered I went with
four of the 2TB variety:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145475

and for reference:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/

I got a mix of February and March manufactured drives (all with the same
firmware).

For memory I decided this system didn't need ECC as it is a home
sandbox, and I have had good luck with G.Skill series before. I
purchased the G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424

As I ordered before the HP arrived I was wary of going with something
with large heat spreaders as I knew there wouldn't be much clearance.

I dd'ed FreeBSD onto a 4GB Kingston Flash drive, but as this is my first
install of *BSD in about 8 years (ah the days of the OpenBSD install
fitting on a couple of floppies) it has been a "re-learning" curve. This
is also the first time I have tried to run BSD on a read-only drive. I
am trying to completely segregate the OS from the data. I do have the
4x2TB set up as a 5.9TB RAIDZ, but am still trying to get my feet under me.
-Ben