"Rich Braun" <ri...@pioneer.ci.net> writes:
> Even with all that, though, this looks like something I should've pursued back
> in 2013 when I first heard the software title Owncloud. If you've got trust
> issues and "don't love the Cloud", read about it!

SDF (the shell provider not the Syrian resistance group) offers owncloud
or maybe its successor, but I haven't yet had a problem I thought it
would be the solution for, so haven't looked into it. The trouble I have
is that the only people I can think of I'd share files with this way
would only go along with it if I used Dropbox instead. It's a similar
kind of problem to what prevents me from ever encrypting any of my
email.

For files I don't share but sync between machines I figured rsync (using
rsync directly? do Dropbox and owncloud use rsync under the covers? do
the rsync authors ever get a $ or stock tip for their work backing
Dropbox if so?) has a richer set of options and is more flexible.

--
Mike Small
sma...@sdf.org