> On Sep 6, 2017, at 09:35, Bill Bogstad <bogs...@pobox.com> wrote:

> it seems
> like every couple of years the "correct" CM package changes.

Right now the main open-source options are Ansible (a Red Hat product), Chef
and Puppet. I have used all three, and found that the learning curve for new
users is too big for Chef and Puppet. Ansible is easy to learn but lacks robust
performance and modularity/"testability" as your setup gets more complex over
time (be it personal-use or work-related).

So I'm toying with the idea of creating the thing y'all have hinted we need: a
(new) distro that bakes in a clustered etc-file editing method of managing a
swarm of 3 or more computers running whatever software you use. The tools to
create such a thing are out there now, they just need to be packaged in the way
Ubuntu solved the new-user installation problem that other Linux distros all
had prior to 2007.

But managing a real open-source project isn't something I've done before and
I'm afraid it'd turn into a huge time-sink or would never achieve popularity.
So I don't know where I'd start. Anyone can find the essentials on my github
repo but it needs a lot more ease-of-use packaging.

-rich