----- Original Message ----

> From: Drew Jensen <d...@baseanswers.com>
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 20:30 +0200, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> > Le Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:16:37 -0400,
> > Drew Jensen <d...@baseanswers.com> a écrit  :
> >  > > > 1. what will it cost if you have to rewrite the authors code  and

> > >  > Marketing, lobbying and advocating work are some examples.k

> - if you  do that AND you also are active on the MLs here, you are on the
> marketing  conference calls and you pitch in to help write and execute a
> marketing plan.  Then you _are_ working on the project.

Agreed, though I wouldn't just say the MLs, but the forums, etc. You have to be
part of the community as well; not just out saying things about it.
I've come and gone through a number of communities - Subversion, Samba, PHP, to
name a couple - over the years as interests, time, and demands require.
I haven't quite contributed to any them in terms of code, but I was
contributing
to them in terms of user support - helping people with questions, etc; and in
some cases submitting feature requests, etc.
All of that is contribution.

Perhaps another model to consider is Gentoo's model -
http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/.
Many contribute on the list, but only a few are brought into the Gentoo
Foundation.

Ben

--
E-mail to discuss+h...@documentfoundation.org for instructions on how to