I answered a posting from Ernst W. Winter:

Yes sounds good. How did the city of Munich change 14,000 PC to OOo?

with a somewhat cursory "I don't know" but the question piqued my interest.
A few minutes' Googling came up with the answer: It didn't.

Reports (e.g., at
http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/limux-where-the-munich-linux-revolution-is-today.html)
show that only 80% of the city's 14,000 PCs will have been changed to open
source by
2012 - that's EIGHT YEARS after the project was given the green light.

To be fair, Oo was only a small part of the changeover, which involved an
upfront
cost of €13 million for LiMux, a special version of Linux. The council says
that's
€2 million MORE than it would have cost to upgrade from Windows NT4 to XP,
but their point wasn't short-term financial saving -- they were more concerned
about
being tied to a single supplier.

While a city council can apparently afford to spend this time and taxpayer's
money
changing to open source, no corporate CFO would even consider it.

P.