Quoting Marc Paré:

So, for everyone, do you think that we could submit this as a feature request
and if it were adopted, would it have a
negative impact on the new or casual user's use of the search function?

I think it certainly should be a permanent feature. I don't think new or casual
users
would find it offputting even though many of the features might be overkill for
them.
One possibility would be to hide all but the simplest features and provide an
"Advanced"
(or similar) button that would reveal them (and make it sticky so that once
you've
chosen "Advanced" it always appears whenever you hit Ctrl-F).

P.