Hi Jesper,

Il 27/06/2011 10:49, Jesper Lund Stocholm ha scritto:
> Hi Davide,
>
> 2011/6/27 Davide Dozza <dav...@flossconsulting.it>:
>> Il 26/06/2011 23:21, plino ha scritto:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> PDF is used for keeping printing fidelity. It's not an editable format.
>>
>> OOo, LibO, Symphony, Word, Abiword, Koffice and so on are tools for
>> editing documents and not for keeping viewing *and* printing fidelity.
>> For such purpose you should use desktop publishing software which has a
>> complete different approach (i.e. Inkscape).
>>
>> Also for PDF, embedding fonts is an option. Only for PDF-A it's mandatory.
>>
>>> Should I make my presentations using a PDF?
>>
>> Yes. By embedding your fonts if you want to be *reasonable* sure that
>> you will open the file and obtain a similar result in the future.
>
> Aren't you guys really talking sortof detached from "the real world?"
> (no disrespect intended).

I've been working on OOo migrations since 2003. Especially for PA. I
think I'm not detached from the real world.... ;-)

> Even though you might be right that you could pass around documents as
> PDF/A, the reality is that users simply don't do that. Users create
> their content in Writer, Impress, Calc etc and they pass those files
> around and not their PDF-counter parts. This is really orthogonal to
> the collaboration process - be that "for view" or for "for editing".
> Also, suggesting to use PDF for Impress-files is not really going to
> work. This will effectively stop any animations, transformation,
> embedded multimedia etc from being of any use.

I wish I opened Word 5.0 files in the same way as I did 20 years ago but....

One thing it's what people wish, another what the law requires and yet
another is what technology offers.

For a PA when a document has to be long-term archived only in a
electronic way, the Italian law requires PDF/A. Fidelity is a must.

You have to keep in mind that there is a trade off between features and
fidelity.

Because fidelity it's a question of rendering algorithms: more features
means more complexity for such algorithms.

Therefore the more fidelity you ask the less features you have.
That why PDF/A has been created.

> So in the real world users (not all, of course) *will* be troubled
> about this, they *will* look for alternatives and they *will* blame
> LibO/ODF for this feature lack ... regardless that usage of PDF would
> seem like a better choice for them.
>
> Personally I don't really understand why ODF TC (or, Charles in
> particular) is to adamant in not wanting to add embedding of fonts to
> ODF. It seems like a small addition to ODF-spec and would serve the
> purpose of users that have no other alternative than use Microsoft
> Office. On the other hand I agree completely that ODF TC should be
> presented with "working code" presumably in a branch of e.g. LibO
> where (the value of) the functionality is demonstrated.

This is another question. We can discuss about embedding font in ODF but
please don't sell it for document fidelity reasons.

Davide