On 06/25/2011 03:37 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>

>> On 25 Jun 2011, at 08:33, Ian Lynch wrote:
>>
>> > Manfred wrote:
>> >
>> > "I still believe that PDF is the best solution to distribute final
>> versions
>> > of text (and maybe other office) documents."
>> >
>> > I'd say yes if they are likely to be printed on paper, no if it is only
>> > likely to be read from a screen.
>>
>> I disagree. Once a document no longer needs editing (and this is a frequent
>> need in daily life - think purchase receipt, invoice, insurance schedule and
>> so on) it needs to be provided in an electronic format that cannot be easily
>> altered. PDF plays this role, ODF doesn't.
>>

> No, but HTML does. More to the point, chm files also are build for
> read-only. Surely they are more microsoft based, but even Read (activity
> from the OLPC/Sugar), had to add a webkit renderer for another popular
> format -- epub. Which of course is done for read-only porpouses.
>
> So a bigger discussion than demanding PDF reader, might be to upgrade the
> very old HTML renderer in LibreOffice to something like webkit.
This might be of interest:

http://andreasgal.com/2011/06/15/pdf-js/
[pdf.js: Rendering PDF with HTML5 and JavaScript]
http://blog.mozilla.com/cjones/2011/07/03/pdf-js-first-milestone/
[pdf.js reached its first milestone]
https://wiki.mozilla.org/PDF.js

Perhaps that could be modifed/integrated to also view .odt etc?