Michael Meeks and I are completely familiar with the differences in our
preferences for the licenses that we're willing to contribute under.  I fully
recognize Michael's declaration.  This reply is simply an opportunity to note
that Michael's response is a great example of different perspectives that
people can arrive at and be completely clear about it.

I completely accept and support Michael's personal view.  The musing below came
to mind when I saw his response.  They are not meant in any way as a challenge.
 It is simply my own stand and entirely about what is under my own control.

 - Dennis

RELATED MUSING

I am reminded of what led me to craft, several years ago, a version of the
modified BSD License for work that I was supporting.  (Some of that work, under
that license, has been part of OpenOffice source code bodies.)

For my solo development projects, my current preference is for the Apache
License (v2) because it is more specific and it makes assertions about any
patents I might happen to also have.  But I am also happy to work on BSD- and
MIT-licensed projects and contribute back under those license. (The MPL is too
complicated for my brain and I shall avoid it because it is a reciprocal
license more like the [L]GPL than BSD or ALv2.)

My intention is simple: To provide users of my code with very easy ways to know
that their use of the code is safe and there are simple requirements for
keeping it that way.  The only limitation was an attribution requirement.
Additional practices were recommended, but the enforceable requirement was that
simple.  (My favorite general copyright license is the Creative Commons
Attribute (CC-By) license.  The simple deed of that license is my absolute
favorite.)

A companion consideration for me is to assure recipients of my code that it has
clean provenance and that I have demonstrated the right to license my
contribution the way I do.  To the extend I derive code from another source, I
make it very clear what the derivation is and that my code's dependence on it
is both clean in compliance with conditions that apply to the dependency.  This
is also an element of scholarship that is important to me and, I suspect, it is
part of the reason that the licenses I do favor have been grouped as "Academic
Licenses" by Lawrence Rosen.

This attention to provenance goes beyond what licenses say.  It is part of my
commitment that recipients can satisfy themselves that the code is safe to use
and that any limitations are clear and understandable.  (I am very careful to
avoid examining or using [L]GPL source code, because I don't want there to be
any question that I have misappropriated any code under such a license.  My
handling of code provenance also supports downstream users having that
assurance.)

This is all on behalf of downstream recipients and the confidence I want them
to have in easily determining permissible usage.

Under current law practically everywhere, every developer has automatic,
exclusive copyright on their own original work (when not done for hire).  The
developer has (apart from some special exceptions that do not concern us here)
exclusive legal rights over specific uses of their work and licensing of those
uses to others.  So long as that is the legal foundation, those choices are
ours individually.