hi stephen,
i'd guess the offending line is in mscross:
Object.prototype.objRef = null;

handle event has changed from using a i=0;i<el.length;i++ type loop to a  for i in c  style loop.
i'd guess that the extra iterable (objRef) is causing problems in the newer handle event.

hope that helps.
(and hi from a fellow Mapserver/GIS user)
-brent