Hello Jonathan,

as Karl and Jörn already pointed out, at the time I'm coding a plugin
which handles all the selection stuff inside an input field / a
textarea. The latest Version also includes setSelection.

More information can be found in this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/plugin%3A-fieldSelection-tf2833491.html

Please note: The plugin is relatively new and I have the feeling that
some of the API may change in the near future as I already got some
suggestions on how to improve the plugin. :)

Also I have to write some documentation...

Alex