Hi

I wonder why jquery is using the : as seperator for custom selectors as this
is just another character which can be used in any element id.

In other words this means that for example if I have an id="my:elem" this
element is the not selectable like $('#my:id') as the regexp on
line 949: re2 = /^([#.]?)([a-z0-9\\*_-]*)/i;)   // jquery 1.1.1
does split that and uses the :elem as custom selector.

You might now ask why am I using : as element id's.
The answer is pretty easy. JSF uses a : to automatically generate element
id's in HTML and that's unfortuntely not changeable. And I have to use jsf.

But I really like jquery a lot and would love to use it in my future
projects together with JSF.

Any way that for example, before splitting the id and use the 2nd part of
the id as custom selector do a search for the full ID as specified, and if
no element is found fall back to the custome selector way of splitting?

Or even better that the custom selector character could be configurable?

Would you guys (jquery members) consider that as an option if I would send a
patch for that for future releases?
I prefere to go with official releases as otherwise updating to newer
versions gets a pain....

Tx for your help.