Rey Bango schrieb:
> I've been thinking about the best time to use an Edit in Place like this
> one (http://www.dyve.net/jquery/?editable). Its a very cool technique
> but I'm not quite sure when I would use it or how I would let a user
> know that a field is editable simply by clicking on it.
>
> I'd like some feedback on this.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Rey...

Hey Rey, I think edit-in-place is best suitable if there's the
need/possibility to update one piece of information, for example on a
page that has a lot of items of the same kind. As soon as you need to
edit a few more attributes of an item, I think it is better to show a
complete form, although the whole form could be made "edit in place",
e.g. it replaces the former rendering with form fields after klicking a
little button for example.

But I think that's nothing new to you, is it? I mean, Flickr is to me a
perfect example of *where* to use edit-in-place. Or the delicious
headline where you can immediatly edit the tag you're searching for...

Showing that something is editable is more difficult. Some hover effect
like Flickr is not the best solution to me, because it is not at all
obvious. Maybe it is better to show a little icon that says "I'm
editable" (a pencil etc.). Still that involves that the user needs to
hover over the data to know that it is editable, which means the user
needs to learn it. In the end it will be maybe something users have
learned from other pages and expect it on similiar pages as well.

I like the idea of showing a little bubble/explanation the first time a
user visits a page to show that something is editable. On the other hand
usability gurus will say, as soon as you have to do that, something went
  wrong already.

-- Klaus