Christof:

This may be true of traditional regular expressions, which is
something you'll encounter in a college level automata class but very
rarely in the real world. The fact is that most modern, since the 80s
at least, regex implementations (JavaScript, Java, PHP,...) can handle
many "nonregular" grammars, by making use of features such as
look-ahead, atomic grouping, backreferences, etc.  For specifics on
this, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression#Patterns_for_irregular_languages

- jake