On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:

I was hoping to investigate GCC's bdver1 output (which does try to
address L1 instruction cache issues) on Illumos but I discovered that
Illumos is not currently capable of executing this code ("illegal
instruction").

Did you test this with the latest code from illumos-gate? The patches to
support the new instruction sets on Bulldozer just went in a few days
ago.

Do the latest code updates cause 'cpustat' to support AMD Family 15h?

These messages appear in 'cpustat -h' output on Opteron 62XX:

  "CPU performance counter interface: AMD Family 15h (unsupported)"

  "See BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide (BKDG) For AMD Family 15h
   Processors. (Note that this pcbe does not explicitly support this
   family)"

A working cpustat seems useful in order to understand cache problems.

  http://developer.amd.com/assets/SunKrishnenduSadhukhan.pdf

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn