The problem with business practices like the ones followed by the various
cell phone companies is that they create a huge opportunity for competitors.
To grab market share, a new cell phone manufacturer/company only has to
create a reasonable (vs. annoying) experience for its customers.
Or at least, it would make sense to assume so. I believe that the hype
surrounding the iPhone (and the Mac, to a limited degree) is a direct result
of this phenomenon.

It's amazing to me that it's taken someone like Steve Jobs to make the
obvious point that there's such a huge competitive advantage gained from
making things -easier- for customers. Maybe it comes down to tactical vs.
strategic thinking ...

-Anne