That was me. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, building a cutting
edge design firm in the midwest was a really silly idea. I just
didn't know it. Connection with folks at conferences, and then
following up with conversation on news groups, compuserve and AOL
made all  the difference in the world. We figured out how to benefit
from Silicon Valley  and New York  and Chicago without actually being
there. These days - that's pretty much a given.

These days I live pretty far from my closest friends. But what I have
gain most from these networks recently have been the reconnection
with friends and former employees that I have lost track of. Not to
get to heady... but that socialization through time is something I
would never have anticipates.

Mark