Jeff said:

In terms of usability and design both, the challenge I see again and again
is that most people create for themselves and their peers, with very little
consideration given to those invisible unknown people "out there somewhere"
who perceive and function differently.  I've observed the results many
times, and Nielsen writes and talks about it sometimes, and very few others
do.  I'd like to see a more general awareness of that.  And when I say
"people create for themselves and their peers,"

I've just published a short article called "Design versus Design Toss",
following Jakob's model to some degree, in which I argue for "vernacular
design", and urge designers to ignore "design tossers" who try to keep a
moat of exclusivity around their skills, but in fact are caught in a trap of
addiction to new, edgy visuals, reinforced by the fact that they only seek
validation from other designers..
http://webdesignfromscratch.com/web-design-versus-design-toss.cfm

Ben