Will Evans asked:
> How does js implementation effect text-2-speech? Is
> this really a 508 issue or are we talking about accessibility for
> BHOF's that use emacs and opera on Linux and stubbornly "choose" to
> turn off javascript?

Here's my take on this, and I'm assuming we're talking about interactions on
the Web:

It's an excellent question for which there's no easy answer, Will.  If you use
"event handlers" rather than HTML/XHTML's semantic markup for access to content
(text, for example), you'll probably be denying that content to screen readers
and others.  Javascript does not *necessarily* get in the way, but the way it's
used makes all the difference.  It was not designed to be accessible by
default.  It was designed for maximum versatility, and it's a great tool in
many ways.  But we should always have a very good reason to use it, and we
should test each implementation for accessibility before unleashing it on the
world.  There are tried-and-true methods of implementing js with accessibility
in mind, but I don't do much javascript so I don't know the inner workings to
tell you what makes the difference.  I know that if you block scripts without
blocking essential content, you've accomplished something significant to a lot
of people.  More people than you know.

Also, why "stubbornly choose"?  If I stubbornly choose to ride the bus to work
instead of driving my car, I have that right.  It means I can't swing by the
store on the way home, so I'm denying myself that little piece of functionality
and I'm the only one who sacrifices in so doing.  If you're a web designer, I'm
letting you come into my house, my computer.  Be respectful.  And for heaven's
sake, wipe your feet!

?:)
Jeff

The best games are on Xbox 360.  Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360
Console.