Patricia said: "I think it's one of those situations that if you
bring it to someone's attention, they may decide not to like it, but
if you don't say anything, it probably won't interfere with user
experience much."

I'm not so sure about that. It's one of those "features" that
adds nothing significant to the user experience and subtracts some
functionality and choice. How many of us are just like Murli in the
way we scan articles, reading the beginning and end as a way to
decide whether in-depth reading will be worthwhile? I know I do, and
it's something I don't want to change because it saves me time and
adds value to my experience.

Just because it's cool, doesn't mean you should do it.
Well-structured HTML/XHTML loads very quickly in any browser, and is
preferable for many reasons. This is one of those presentational
"enhancements" that will -- in the long run -- encourage people to
disable javascript.

In designing for the Web, I think we should always ask whether a
feature really adds enough genuine value to offset its cost (as
measured in time and comprehension) to the end user.