Where should I start?  I fear that this discussion will end in a fierce
debate concerning the meaning of the term 'design' -- one that has probably
occurred several times on this list (and elsewhere).  There might even be a
secondary debate on the meaning of the term 'interaction'.

Nevertheless, coming from an engineering background, there are several
streams of design in engineering where aesthetics play no role at all.  Then
there is organization design, service design and systems design where again,
aesthetics, if it is an issue, is at best peripheral.

If you ask me personally, I would tell you that aesthetics should be
integral -- but I recognize that that is a personal value of mine, one that
I would like to evangelize, but one that is not universally shared, since it
is not essential to design (in many domains of design).

Aesthetics is an issue only where:

a) there exists human interaction with the design,
b)  the human interaction involves the senses, mainly visual and auditory,
probably, and,
c) aesthetics are a key aspect of the perceived or real usability or
acceptance of the thing  designed.

Now I beginning to wonder if there will occur a fierce debate on the meaning
of 'aesthetics'.

- murli