Dmitry, I hear ya on the time cost thing. It's why I didn't do an ID degree
about 2 years ago.
3 years, no life and no pay, was a bit too much for someone who already had
over 10 years experience.
I do REALLY wish that I could do such a program, or pick and choose what I
need in terms of studio/craft/theory work and somehow combine that with my
real world experience to then create a degree out of that.

That would be an interesting educational program that I have never seen.
A part time program that assumes experience as credit towards a degree.
Maybe it is like an executive program where there are concentrated pieces
like 2 2wk. concentrations for studio work, and then weekends for course
work on specific supplemental theory, and then a thesis project of some sort
"proving" acquired skills from both experience and formal education. hmmm?

-- dave

On Jan 30, 2008 3:40 PM, Dmitry Nekrasovski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave, your proposal actually sounds like a great bachelor's degree
> curriculum (or last 3 years thereof).
>
> A 3-year masters degree, while great for curriculum breadth/depth reasons,
> would likely attract few students of high caliber due to the opportunity
> cost. Even 2-year master's degrees face this challenge (which is why a
> number of MBA programs have moved towards 12 or 18 month curricula).
>
> Dmitry
>
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:29:22, dave malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrei, we're close.
> > I think that the foundations taught in architecture and ID programs
> > are quite specific. I.e. Graphic design is not included in
> > foundations for most IDs and quite honestly the IDs I've worked with
> > would make horrible graphic designers. Architecture also has a
> > foundation, but type is not really a full-semester studio class from
> > my recollection of looking at those programs.
> >
> > Now that being said, I believe there is a crisis in IxD education in
> > the US specifically b/c of the dearth of programs, but globally b/c
> > of the lack of consistency between programs (thus the definition
> > problem).
> >
> > If I would create an Masters of Design program in IxD, it would first
> > off be 3 years.
> > year 1 is all about foundations and core theory (and probably is the
> > "life? what's a life?" year). Besides the usual suspects, this
> > would also include at least 1 class in Java, or programming in
> > ActionScript or Visual Basic/XAML (you get my point).
> >
> > Year 2 is 1/2 about theory and then about focus. This is where the
> > HCI stuff meets the tangible interfaces vs. the software stuff vs.
> > systems/services.
> >
> > Year 3 is a continuation of focus, 1st semester growing towards a 2nd
> > semester thesis/portfolio piece.
> >
> > Electives in business, tools, management (it is a masters after all)
> >
> > Now, if it were a bachelor's program, it would be a 5 year program.
> > But does anyone want to be an interaction designer when they are 17.
> > ;)
> >
> > -- dave

> > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25077