"Wow. I want to work where you work! Most interaction designers I know
in the Bay Area don't make anywhere close to this amount. I'd say
about half of this ($75-100k) is about average."

Therein lies the problem in the Bay Area Dan. How much is proximity to all
those great places/people/companies worth? Assume you live in a city with a
base cost of living index of 100, pay 1800 per month for rent or mortgage,
and make $100K -- and the same job in SV/SF pays $100K, but the cost of
living index is 132, you can naturally see why it would cause huge
shortages. Of course - in good times like these - SF grows in our sector
faster than most other regions b/c of all the access to capital to fund new
ideas.
I would seriously consider moving someday, but not for an effective pay cut.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Dan Saffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:05 PM, dave malouf wrote:
>
> > 2) Like what David Shaw said. You've gotta be nutz, coocoo, and just
> > insane to leave anyplace including NYC and move to SF unless you were
> > guaranteed something between $150k-$200k, and HUGE relocation package
> > upwards of $20-$30k. Having done relocates to both coasts I'm pretty
> > familiar with what it takes at this point.
>
> Wow. I want to work where you work! Most interaction designers I know
> in the Bay Area don't make anywhere close to this amount. I'd say
> about half of this ($75-100k) is about average.
>
> I moved to SF in my mid-30s (with a family I should add) and yes, I
> won't be buying a house anytime soon, but if what's important to you
> is doing really interesting work surrounded by a high calibre
> interaction design community, the Bay Area is hard to beat. The access
> you get to some amazing people and companies (startups and giants
> alike) is almost unreal. In a few block radius from my office there is
> frog, Twitter, Yahoo labs, Cooper, Hot, IDEO, Six Apart, Technorati,
> Adobe, Nokia...the list goes on and on.
>
> Location still matters.
>
> Dan

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"