A couple of thoughts on this topic...
A few years ago I was doing research in the retail pharma industry. At that
time the standard degree for a pharmacist changed from 5 years to 6 years.
The effect was that the demand for pharmacist went through the roof (partly
due to a year with no new graduates), and the market value of a pharmacist
went through the roof... and has pretty much stayed there.

If there was a 4 year degree for IX, would it have the opposite effect in
our industry? The masters graduates from CMU and IIT are in very high demand
- even before graduation. Talking with faculty, there are companies lobbying
for them to increase class size.

So the question is, would an undergraduate standard be good for our
profession?

Second question... Can it be done well? Interaction design is more demanding
than say, graphic design. Can you get a balanced design education in a four
year degree with the addition of social science, cognitive science... and
research? Any current design faculty want to take a shot at this?

Mark