I think it's much simpler than that:

With products as big and powerful as many of the Adobe products, the complexity
and richness of the features leads inexorably to a certain amount of complexity
in the user experience.  In order to simplify it, you have to
remove/restrict/dumb down the feature set.  Or streamline parts to be really
good and you end up with inconsistency throughout the product, with users no
longer able to leverage knowledge of one piece of the interface to another.

Airplane consoles are hideously complex.  Would simplifying them make it easier
for more people to become commercial pilots?  Would it serve the passengers and
cargo well if some of the gauges were removed and the more powerful switches
made harder to get at in order to have a "friendlier" interface?  Or are they
just kept complex to ensure that existing pilots keep their job seniority?
(God, I hope not!)

-- Jim