I'm sure many of us enjoy watching sci-fi movies and reading fiction which
explores the future of UI design and technologies. I must admit feeling very
inspired by the Iron Man concept of having the ability to design and produce
advanced technologies in one's own home. To a large extent, web
entrepreneurs can already do that, so it can be a reality now - with the
right skills.

However, something to bear in mind with film and book depictions of
technologies: They are not designed to work for real people. They are not
designed to be feasible. They are not designed to be cost-effective. What
they are designed to do is to have visual appeal, or to sound exciting.

Bruce Sterling (an author of such books) makes this point clearly here:
http://www.vimeo.com/769193

VR and gestural interfaces and anything 3D certainly do have some
application in the real world, but more importantly, they look really good
flashing up from a designer desk in a mansion in Malibu.  =)

-Jeff

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Evan K. Stone <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's highly coincidental that this topic came up, since I too was
> greatly impressed by the user interface ideas presented in Iron Man.
> Immediately afterward, that's all I could think and talk about. I'm glad
> I'm not the only one who had that kind of reaction...
>
> [spoiler]
>
> I was intrigued with the manipulation of the suit design model in 3D
> holographic space (and the trash can. nice touch.). I had this
> anticipatory excitement come over me, since what appeared in Minority
> Report became reality (to a some degree) in Perceptive Pixel, and
> because just over the last week or so there have been discussions on
> this list regarding free hand gestures, so perhaps we will see the
> holographic 3D interactions in the not too distant future... very
> exciting to think about.
>
> [/spoiler]
>
> Film sure can be great inspiration.
>
> Thanks for bringing up the topic!
>
> /// eks

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Axup, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting, San Diego

Research: Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail: axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog: http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog: http://memeaddict.blogspot.com

"Designers mine the raw bits of tomorrow. They shape them for the present
day." - Bruce Sterling