I pretty much operate under the rule of thumb that a flash intro is never a
good idea.  If you absolutely have to have something even remotely like one,
design it as a flash embed on your index page.  Basically, give your
audience one less click to get into the real substance of the site rather
than the opportunity to blow it off.
I guess what I'm saying is, it's not a question of whether it makes sense in
today's job or design market, it's a question of usability. Put your content
front and center.

-MIKE D

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Alan Wexelblat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Let's assume that you've done the proper work to provide a "Skip
> Intro" button.  Let's further assume that you've done at least the
> minimum to make your content accessible to people without the Flash
> player.
>
> The question I ask, then, is: does having a Flash intro to a personal
> site, which may include one's portfolio or resume, make sense in
> today's job market and design environment?  Or does this brand the
> designer as someone stuck in the last decade?
>
> As usual, I suspect the answer is "it depends"; what I'm really
> interested in is exploring issues around how we present ourselves in
> online presences and the Flash-intro or Flash-site is a method I still
> see from time to time, though not nearly as much as I used to.
>
> Best regards,
> --Alan

Michael Dunn
FoolishStudios