Thanks, everyone, for the feedback thus far. Let me clarify why it's important that I come up with a common terminology that people understand: I'm writing installation instructions for a client that provides a service that works with different blog services, so being able to call something out with as little ambiguity as possible is paramount. These types of interfaces are quite common, so I was hoping to have a name for them that makes as much sense as possible since they show up in the instructions frequently.

Thanks again!  Any more feedback is greatly appreciated.

jason

Itamar Medeiros wrote:
I guess a good approach could be addressing the parts at their
information architecture level: TOP LEVEL navigation, SECOND LEVEL
navigation, and so on; after all, "tabs" is just the current UI
pattern you're using in your design solution... if you decide to
change for drop-down/collapsible trees/etc... the information
architecture stays (your should stay, right?) the same.

---
{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
http://designative.info/
http://www.autodesk.com/