Just watched the WWDC 2008 (I know, I know, iPhone3D... half the
price.... but that's not the point I want to bring to the table) and I
personally think one of the most interesting services introduced in
the keynote was the new .mac, now called "MobileMe"
(http://www.apple.com/mobileme/)

"You might have a Mac at home, a PC at work, and an iPhone or iPod
touch. The challenge is keeping multiple devices always in sync.
Enterprises can use a server like Exchange. For everyone else, now
there's MobileMe." (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/)

I realize that other companies went down that path before, and
enterprises now are all about keeping information mobile; what I think
it'll be interesting to see is what the "Apple" way will do to the
average non-corporate user.

That been said, I'd like you to take a look at Jeff Pierce's (IBM
Almaden research) talk at Stanford's Human-Computer Interaction
Seminars (http://hci.stanford.edu/cs547/abstracts/06-07/061110-pierce.html,
or check Stanford iTunes U), contrast the features of MobileMe:

"While today's users work with and encounter a growing number and
variety of computational devices (desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, PDAs,
cellphones, etc.), continued adherence to the model of working with a
single, personal computer has resulted in little support for
coordinating activities across those devices. In fact, most devices
are still completely unaware that a user might own other devices. As
users shift from working with a personal computer to working within a
personal information environment, we need to make it easier for them
to coordinate their activities across their personal devices as well
as effectively leverage devices in the local environment".

Question is: did Apple hit the nail on the head? What features are
missing to accomplish Pierce's vision?

--
{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
 designing clear, understandable communication by

 mobile ::: +86 13671503252
 website ::: http://designative.info/
 aim ::: itamarlmedeiros
 skype ::: designative