Hi Jared,

I'm in agreement about the limits of alphabetical order, and laid
out that position earlier in the thread. I was mainly calling you to
task for your treatment of Diana's argument.

> However,   the original context of this thread was
> for the organization of office   supplies. Do people
> need to ensure that all office supplies are   treated
> equally?

To me the thread seemed to have wandered off-topic from a discussion
of office supplies to a discussion of alphabetical order generally.
Clearly the ego example doesn't apply to instances like product
catalogs, or really, any instances where users have "finding" as
their primary motivation. I'm thinking of film credits (where order
of appearance is also sometimes used for this effect) or lists of
contributors, or boards of directors. That sort of thing.

> I'm betting that if you had watched as many users approach
> as many different alphabetized lists as I have in
> my career, you'd probably   come to a different conclusion.

I'm arguing that alphabetical order is preferable to random order in
cases where other organizational possibilities don't exist. The only
other conclusion to come to is that randomization is preferable to
alphabetical order.

Even if alphabetical order _appeared_ random, it would have the
advantage of stability. Random pages would be different each time you
visited them.

// jeff