My July 2006 wake up call about this alarming topic was documented at:

        http://blog.360.yahoo.com/nomodes

Here's the text:

    The devolution of a clock

Some time during the 1990's, I purchased a Braun travel alarm that was a delight to own until it eventually died last year. I replaced it by a similar-looking Braun travel alarm that I found on the web site of a Canadian retailer. (Braun no longer sells clocks in the United States.)

The new model (which is now out of the lineup) has a face light controlled by a single easy-to-reach bar. The old model had no light. Advantage new model.

The new model features radio control. If you are lucky, it will receive a radio signal occasionally that automatically sets the time accurately, taking seasonal time adjustments into account. More likely, in my experience, you will have to set it manually by holding down the Light Bar for about 10 seconds, then keeping it down for up to a minute until it reaches the current time. If you overshoot, you need to do it again. On the old model, you simply opened the back and turned a small wheel in either direction. Advantage old model.

On the new model, when the alarm sounds, you can hit the Light Bar to "snooze," i.e., to silence the alarm for a few minutes. On the old model, a proximity sensor allowed you to simply wave your hand near the clock to make it snooze. The coupling of snooze and light is clever and useful, but if you'd rather keep your eyes shut when you need more sleep, you'd prefer the old model.

Both the old and the new models have a knurled wheel on the right side that is easy to reach when you want to change the alarm time.

On the old model, you could turn the alarm-set wheel either way to adjust the wake-up time. On the new model, you can turn it only one way. To wake up ten minutes earlier, you have to nudge it more than twenty times. If you turn it too far (an easy mistake to make when you're sleepy), you have to do that again. Major advantage old model.

On the old model, the alarm-set wheel turned silently. On the new model, it clicks 300 times as you go through the process just described. Someone at Braun forgot that roommates don't always retire at the same time. An alarm clock should be perfectly quiet, or at least emit a soft, constant sound, except at the time you wanted to wake up. Major advantage old model.

I can't understand why companies that have mastered the art of friendly design often remove the most user-friendly features of their products in later models. I can only guess that they aren't conducting customer research or that they are ignoring the results.

Braun is a great product company but the devolution of their alarm clock series is a disappointment.

Larry