Hi Anne-Marie

One thing that has often helped my clients to see and seize new opportunities
is to be brought through a user narrative, or user scenario within a
presentation.  Using this tool allows you to demonstrate the possibilities of
good UX and Design rather than just "tell them" about it.

For instance, the presentation can go beyond a ppt presentation of case studies
and include a story about an archetypal user (persona) and she has a specific
need that your story demonstrates how you and your prospective client can meet.
 If you have any insights into who the bank's key targets are base the persona
on that.  For example if the banking target is focused on savers in a mass
affluent market then you could create a persona whose needs are oriented around
needing better products that suit her needs.  This need may insight a new kind
of banking product that allows prospective customers to "create their own"
product package.  Thinking about how Progressive Insurance and Dell computers
both allow their customers to "customize" their own products might inspire
banking customers to customize their own banking products.  Maybe this would
result in a financial configuration tool that enables (empowers) customers to
set their own specifications (each facet of the customiz
 er in the "digital application configuration" would impact other aspects of
the package.  For example your persona may have a need for no-fee interest
checking, and she may also need a high interest CD, a credit card with airline
miles, etc.  As she bundles more products, the interest rates and services get
better.  More bundled products means more retention of long term customers,
better rates, more free services, etc.  In a nut shell, frame a story that goes
beyond what banks are expected to do (be fair, product security, and be clear)
and give control over a person's financial life back to them but make it easy
with multi-channel tools, and better service.

Examples of folks that do it well:
Mint.com
Bank of America (online banking, the rest of their site is kind of a mess)
ING Orange CD, etc.
HSBC Direct

Good luck,
Andrew